Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Quite a Doozie

DSC_7281Doozie (also doozy): Something that is extraordinary. Often used in the context of troublesome, difficult or problematic, but can be used positively as well.

As a kid I always loved going to Great American Cookie Company and getting a Double Doozie cookie. Nothing was better than a generous helping of frosting sandwiched between two freshly baked cookies.

Now one could infer that Great American Cookie Company coined the name "Double Doozie" because it is in fact, wonderful and extraordinary, but I beg to disagree. I like to think that this cookie originated after someone was having a horrendous, albeit "doozie" of a day. One of those days when you feel like you just can't... possibly... make... one... more... decision.

Do I want a cookie? Yes. Do I want cake? Yes. Do I want an entire vat of icing? Yes. Indulgence kicks in and before you know it, you're sitting with an empty pint of ice cream, spoon-in-hand, wondering why you feel left unsatisfied. Yes, one of those kinds of days.

Well thankfully for the advent of the Double Doozie, you can have it all - cookie/cake/frosting - in one single serving. What's more, these red velvet sandwich cookies are super easy to make and only take 10 minutes in the oven.

For these cookies I started with Paula Deen's recipe but modified the cocoa and the frosting. While I liked the fluffy, cake texture of the cookies, next time I want to experiment and make them a bit more chewy, and perhaps add in some chocolate chips. If you're making these for a party or gathering I'd double the recipe - this one makes about 12 sandwich cookies. Happy Baking!


Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring
   
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

1-8 ounce block cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 box (approx 4 1/2 cups sifted) powdered sugar
 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a larger separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat in the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring. Once combined, add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Onto a parchment lined sheet tray, drop batter using a small ice cream scoop (or a heaping tablespoon). Bake for 10 minutes, until baked through. Cookies should be cake-like and light. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. (I just slide the parchment from my baking sheet onto the wire rack).

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until smooth. Sift in the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy. Carefully spread the cream cheese frosting between 2 cooled cookies. Makes approximately 12 sandwich cookies.

11 comments:

  1. I love the colour! Gorgeous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that I just found your blog. I too am obsessed with red velvet. I recently purchased a 32 oz. bottle of red food coloring!! That's how obsessed I am. I am planning to make red velvet whoopie pies for Valentines shaped as hearts!!! Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I like your blog, I'm also a big fan of red color. These cookies look really nice also! :)))

    Greets from BFC!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Maria - thank you!

    @Jenn - sounds like my kinda girl! How are you planning to shape them into hearts? Are you using a special pan for it?

    @BFC - Thanks, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina, I am planning to pipe the batter onto the baking sheet in a heart shape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are deliciously red.I made them last night for a small gathering of friends. The velvet red against the white frosting was fantastic and the taste was just as indulgent. They were a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that they worked out for you Julia! I love hearing feedback on these recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to try more of your recipes! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im not sure where you got this recipe, but I do know it is not "YOUR" recipe. This in fact Paula Deen's recipe. The only minor difference in the batter is u say 1 tbl + 1 tsp of cocoa and Paula's says 3 tbl, the directions r word for word. The frosting u increased the powdered sugar by 1/2 cup. Once the cookies come together Paula's recipe says to roll the edges in finely chopped pecans. Couldn't not comment to this. For those of you interested I found this at Foodnetwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Mr or Mrs Anonymous! I appreciate you visiting my blog, but next time please read my post before accusing me of plagiarism. You obviously missed this part that links to Paula Deen's recipe (and on Food Network nonetheless):

    "For these cookies I started with Paula Deen's recipe but modified the cocoa and the frosting. While I liked the fluffy, cake texture of the cookies, next time I want to experiment and make them a bit more chewy, and perhaps add in some chocolate chips..."

    As you will see with most of my posts I use Paula Deen's red velvet as a base for a lot of things because its SO GOOD! I always link to the source and give proper credit in all of my posts.

    ReplyDelete

Have feedback for the Velveteen Baker? Comment away with any questions, recipes, special requests or just general red velvet adoration.