Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cake Balls Anyone?

Although I wish people would call them 'cake truffles' it appears that cake balls are all the rage. I found these beautiful red velvet cake balls on Flickr, but after doing some more research, discovered a cult following for various cake balls and pops. I don't know who started the whole cake ball fad (certainly popularized by Bakerella), but they are really starting to catch on.

The image pictured here is from My Flour Garden in Southern California. I also found a place in Austin that specializes in cake balls, appropriately called Austin Cake Ball. I'll have to check it out next time I go visit my friends Mo and Jordan.

If you're interested in making said cake balls, Bakerella has a really easy recipe using a mix. I'll be making them soon with a variation on one of my scratch recipes.

6 comments:

  1. The Red Velvet cake balls at Austin Cake Balls are divine!!! Don't miss them when you are in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation Cat! It's definitely on my list to sample when I'm in Austin. I noticed your company represents one of John Besh's restaurants. He's a former Marine and we interviewed him (through my agency JWT Atlanta) for Marines.com. Interview here: http://bit.ly/anm4Lk. He has such an amazing story and yummy food too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I saw your blog on FaceBook- Red Velvet is my favorite! MMMMM... Anyway, I have a cake ball question. How do you make cake balls that are just cake covered in candy or chocolate coating and make them so they stay in one piece? All of the recipes I've found to make my own cake balls call for stirring cake crumbs into frosting, forming, and them coating. While this is VERY yummy it can be too sweet at times. The cake balls you have pictured above appear to be dense cake in a coating. How do I achieve that end result- is the cake batter made differently? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi @twinangels6705! Glad you found me as well! The photo above was reblogged from a place called My Flour Garden. She makes the cake the same way, but instead of using icing she drizzles it with a light sugar syrup. Unfortunately I couldn't find a recipe for it though. When I made mine (which I still need to post here BTW) I used a cream cheese mascarpone icing, which actually wasn't too sweet. Instead of the sugar syrup or icing you could try using mascarpone too. I wouldn't use a ton of it, just enough to hold them together. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the advice! I'll try that out. It just might be that I include red velvet cake balls in the Christmas baskets I give out this year ...:.>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a problem @twinangels6705, let me know how it goes! I've been getting a lot of requests for cake balls lately, so next time I may try the light sugar syrup (or corn syrup?) too.

    ReplyDelete

Have feedback for the Velveteen Baker? Comment away with any questions, recipes, special requests or just general red velvet adoration.