Monday, August 9, 2010

Red Velvet: It's Not Just for Dessert Anymore

So my first attempt at red velvet pancakes (technically my first attempt at pancakes, ever) and they were actually quite successful. I started with two different recipes, but thought they had too much cocoa and not enough buttermilk, so I ended up just scrapping both and winging it. I was pleasantly surprised that they turned out and were actually really good. Fluffy with a nice velvety texture and not too sweet. Next time I'll probably add some cream cheese to the topping (in lieu of the creme fraiche), but was a little too impatient to wait for it to soften. Try them out and let me know what you think.


Teen's Red Velvet Pancakes No. 5

Teen's Red Velvet Pancakes No. 6

Teen's Red Velvet Pancakes
Yields about 16 pancakes

For the Red Velvet Pancakes:
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted twice after measuring
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup creme fraiche
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts (or pecans), toasted

For the Mascarpone Topping:
1/3 cup softened mascarpone
1/4 cup creme fraiche
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cook walnuts in a skillet at medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, creme fraiche, melted butter, red food coloring and vanilla extract. Add in the dry ingredients and walnuts (reserve some for garnish) and whisk until combined. The batter will have a thick consistency.

Heat a frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Add butter to grease, followed by a small scoop of the batter. Wait for the pancakes to bubble, flip and cook for another minute or two. Meanwhile, mix all of the ingredients for the mascarpone topping together and garnish along with maple syrup and remaining walnuts.

6 comments:

  1. As the only taste tester and a completely unbiased one at that, I feel I should let you all know the pancakes were some of the best I've ever had and I love pancakes. You would have never guessed this was her first time fixing pancakes. I was honored that she asked me many questions as though just because I had fixed pancakes to impress her before that I somehow knew what I was doing. I can only hope that someday the velveteen baker will consider perfecting the pancake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like from a King's table. I would love to try one of this, even it is not so healthy thing to do.. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these look just amazing. The red is very striking and unexpected. I will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Emily! If you do make them, you could use a standard cream cheese icing as well. I went to a restaurant that had red velvet pancakes with just a dollop of cream cheese icing on top. Good either way.

    Aleksander - Surely they aren't too unhealthy ;-) We'll have to catch up soon about the photography stuff. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! You just gave me an idea for my planned True Blood Halloween Party.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks @Karima! You'll have to let me know how your True Blood Halloween Party goes. Martha Stewart just released a 2010 Halloween issue of her magazine for decorations, food and costume ideas. You may want to check it out for more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Have feedback for the Velveteen Baker? Comment away with any questions, recipes, special requests or just general red velvet adoration.