Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Red Velvet: Tastes Like Chicken?

From bacon cake to bacon chocolate chip cookies, I've been seeing a lot of interesting meat-infused desserts lately, but this one takes the cake...and far too literally at that.

A San Francisco-based chef has invented red velvet fried chicken. Shocking, I know. And with cream cheese infused, garlic mashed potatoes nonetheless. Why I hesitate to understand this odd pairing is that you can't just make something red velvet.

See, red velvet is as much about texture as it is about flavor. Without its velvety, melt-in-your-mouth consistency, red velvet cake would simply be cake with an excessive amount of food dye. However you spin it - drenching and frying in red velvet - or tar and feathering in red velvet, does not a red velvet make.

Regardless of how jaded I may sound, I would like to commend American Cupcake with their creativity, and I am quite curious to hear any reviews of said red velvet fried chicken. If any of my ten whole visitors from the greater San Francisco area decide to check it out, please let me know. Heck, it may even be pretty good. But good, bad or indifferent, you can count on the Velveteen Baker for keeping the poultry out of her baked goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have feedback for the Velveteen Baker? Comment away with any questions, recipes, special requests or just general red velvet adoration.