Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Cupcakery Worthy of its Namesake?


When I first heard about Red Velvet Cupcakery in DC's Chinatown from my friends Marcy and Tia, it was like a beacon. For nights I dreamed about trying a red velvet cupcake worthy of naming a bakery after. Fortunately it would only be a number of days until I had to travel to Virginia for work, and I would be able to make my dreams a reality.

I was able to lure four of my colleagues to the cupcakery for a pre-dinner cupcake run. There were Peanut Butter Cup cupcakes...Cookies & Cream cupcakes....and alas, the Southern Belle. A signature red velvet that can "stand up to Grandma's" or so the menu says. At first glance I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. All of their red velvet cupcakes were a deep shade of mahogany and had a serious case of muffin top. But looks can always be deceiving, right?


Despite my initial hesitation, I went all out. I ordered the red velvet, a peanut butter cup and a soy milk to wash it all down. The frosting was a standard cream cheese with just the right amount of sweetness. The cake however, was a sure disappointment. My colleagues and I all agreed that the red velvet cake tasted dry and over-baked. The net of it: I wouldn't name my bakery after it.

I'm hoping this was just a fluke and maybe their Quality Control Manager was out sick that day. Have any of you been to Red Velvet Cupcakery in DC? How was your experience? Any other DC area bakeries you would recommend?

4 comments:

  1. Wow that's stupid! If you name your bakery after a great cake then you should at least make your main item look and taste good. Sometimes bakerys are weird though. I like baking my own things or using mixes because i can make it however i want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Danielle! I love all of your pie-themed cupcakes by the way! I'll have to try one of your recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I just fell in love after seeing your red velvet truffles on Tastespotting. My husband's favorite, red velvet, was just brought to a whole new level. So the real reason I'm commenting... I live in DC and as a baker wouldn't consider wasting money on Red Velvet or Georgetown Cupcake. I only have faith in Baked and Wired. I hope you have tried anything that Teresa makes. Thanks for your truffle recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you! Baked & Wired is actually on my list to try! You're totally right about Red Velvet and Georgetown Cupcake. I think they are both overrated. If you have any other DC recommendations let me know. I try and do reviews whenever I'm there for work.

    ReplyDelete

Have feedback for the Velveteen Baker? Comment away with any questions, recipes, special requests or just general red velvet adoration.